1. How to organize internal flights in Peru?
Please remember that you need a return or onward ticket to be let into the country. If you do not want to plan a date of return, you can always buy one that is free to cancel and get reimbursed once you pass migration in Lima.
From Lima to Iquitos IQT is the best to fly by the Latam, Skyairline or Viva Air company. Please remember to leave enough time for connection in Lima after and before international flights, to allow for potential delays of connecting airlines.
It is also worth sometimes to book a whole journey on one ticket, with transit in Lima, because when there is a delay or lost luggage the airlines will cooperate to get you to Iquitos. If you plan to travel in Peru afterwards this may not be a good option because you would have to come back to Iquitos to start your return journey.
2. Where and what time do we meet in Iquitos?
Meeting place and pick up for all events is at 1PM on the first day of the event in Iquitos airport. There is only one cafe at the airport – we meet there.
If you choose to come before, we can advise you about options of accommodation in Iquitos. We are going straight to the center, so any shopping in Iquitos should be organized either before the meeting or after the event.
3. What should I take for my stay?
- Passport which is still valid for a minimum of 6 months at the moment of entering Peru.
- Better take a backpack than suitcase – there is some walking involved in getting to the camp.
- Headlamp with red light option for the ceremony. White light only is good for outdoors but too strong for inside the ceremony space.
- An additional set of batteries for the headlamp
- A raincoat – you can buy one cheaply in Iquitos
- Your own lightweight sleeping bag or light blanket. All the time we have here warm temperatures – usually not below 27 degrees Celsius. The coldest are rainy nights, the temperature can drop to about 16 – 18 degrees Celsius. We prefer guests to bring their own as it is hard to wash them well in the humidity of the forest. We provide fresh sheets, pillows and pillowcases.
- Natural soap
- Light clothes.
- Rubber shoes can be useful for longer treks inside forest, they can be also purchased in Iquitos. They are not necessary.
- For everyday use flip flops or crocks are most practical.
- Personal stuff such as contact lenses
- If you play anything, take your instruments
- Creative tools, such as notebook, sketchbook, pen, felt-tip pens, pencil.
- In case of diarrhea, natural remedy such as coal
- Travel health insurance
- USD is the best currency and easiest to change. However remember that notes can not be deteriorated or torn in any way, they will not be accepted anywhere in Peru. Also make sure, if you are bringing 100 USD notes, that none are with series beginning with CB.
- Apart from the money to cover rest of your payment, you may bring some extra, either for shopping textiles and other artwork from our shamans, good quality very cheap rape ( 30 cents for 1 gram ) or extra optional treatments such as some massages. Otherwise everything including transfers, foo d, lodging etc is included in the total price.
4. How do I prepare for the Ayahuasca Retreat and Master Plant Dieta?
- IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO NOTIFY IN ADVANCE ABOUT ANY SERIOUS HEALTH ISSUES, ESPECIALLY EXTREME BLOOD PRESSURE OR HEART PROBLEMS
- The most important is putting aside any strong pharmaceuticals and drugs, especially antidepressants, at least 2 weeks before.
- The antidepressants will be actually very dangerous if combined with ayahuasca.
- Antidepressants in general are not compatible with the ingestion of Ayahuasca. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) work by raising your serotonin levels. For example Fluoxetine, Sertraline, Citalopram, Paroxetine, etc. Any drug to treat depression, anxiety, insomnia, ADD, blood pressure medicines, cold or cough, anti allergics, anti inflammatories are not compatible with the ingestion of ayahuasca. Also statins, opioids, amphetamines, medicines for nausea, asthma sprays and recreational drugs.
- Stay away from alcohol and pork, hard drugs, the longer the better, but minimum one week. Few days before also stay away from coffee, chocolate, cannabis.
- Please inform us about any medicines or supplements you might be taking. In addition, you need to discuss in advance with the facilitator your herbal medicine and supplement intake so that you can follow the guidelines and ensure your system is clear before attending any workshops.
- The malaria medication is not recommended, the regional risk is very low and not worth side effects of those drugs.
- Vaccinations are not obligatory.
- Very important is psychological preparation, that includes focusing on your intentions for dieta, the more precise they are, more efficient can be your work during the process. It good to stick also to mental hygiene before diet, that includes questionable ethical behaviors, especially unhealthy sex practices that can trouble your conscience during isolation period ( you will feel best what that means for you ), but also avoid unnecessary contamination from excess of electronic media, junk entertainment etc.
- It is important that you communicate your food allergies, intolerances or preferences to our staff so we can design a menu that doesn’t break your diet.
Remember, if you are choosing master plant dieta discipline, its design has been created by long experience and should be followed in order to make it effective. It makes no sense to commit to this work and do certain sacrifices, while ruining it and potential great benefits by other behavior.
It can’t be stressed enough : this is a digital detox, no electronics, especially phones are allowed. No exceptions, for photography, yoga or meditation apps, journalling or timekeeping will be made in this regards. Phones should be given to deposit on arrival and will be only allowed in case of emergency. Your family members can contact us either by phone or email and we will relay message to you in case of emergency.
The first and last two days of the dieta are possibility to get to know the others, chat, share experience. In the main, central part of retreat this is absolutely forbidden. There is an option for individual, one on one consultation with leaders of the dieta every second day, so there is a window for human contact, but strictly about your process. Of course you also see others in the ceremonies, but noble silence ( no conversation ) is required there too. Otherwise, this is time for you, plants and the forest. Amazing things are possible, but your cooperation is essential.
5. During the dieta
No salt, spices, fats. Very limited stimulation, both in food, contact with others, we are not recommending too much reading or recorded music, no phone or internet is allowed. One can practice yoga, meditate, play instrument, draw, write. Minimum of cosmetics, shampoo etc, best is natural toothpaste (for example coconut oil and soda). No snacking etc. No drugs of any kind.